Resource Logo
NLM AIDSLINE

STD and male infertility at University Hospital of Butare, Rwanda.




 

Int Conf AIDS. 1993 Jun 6-11;9(1):391 (abstract no. PO-B11-1535). Unique

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the frequency of male infertility related to post STD infection involvement of the upper genital tracts UGT). METHODS: From 1986 until 1992, 192 men consulted for male infertility. All of them were married, were between 25 and 40 years old, had a past medical history of STD. Physical exam done at the Department of Urology clinic revealed the following data: 122 cases with epididymitis, 28 cases with funiculitis, 22 cases with chronic prostatitis and 18 cases didn't show any clinical pathology. Neisseria gonorrheae has been the germ most identified from urine sample. Respective spermogram showed azoospermia and testicular biopsies have been done. RESULTS: TABULAR DATA, SEE ABSTRACT VOLUME. Interpretation of results: normal spermatogenesis (75%) means that microscopic azoospermia found in 144 patients is from excretory origin i.e. secondary to obstruction at the UGT. The origin of azoospermia of the remaining (25%) is secretory. CONCLUSION: Considering the aforementioned results, it is imperative for the public health authority to take adequate measures in order to eradicate STD, specially gonorrheae.

*Gonorrhea/COMPLICATIONS *Infertility, Male/ETIOLOGY *Sexually Transmitted Diseases/COMPLICATIONS



 




Information in this article was accurate in November 30, 1993. The state of the art may have changed since the publication date. This material is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between you and your doctor. Always discuss treatment options with a doctor who specializes in treating HIV.