Resource Logo

Correlation between human T cell lymphotropic virus type-1 and Strongyloides stercoralis infections and serum immunoglobulin E responses in residents of Okinawa, Japan.


Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1997 Jan;56(1):71-5. Unique Identifier : AIDSLINE

To clarify the relationship between Strongyloides stercoralis, infection with human T cell lymphotropic virus type-1 (HTLV-1), and serum immunoglobulin E (IgE) levels, epidemiologic investigations of these two infections were conducted in inhabitants of Okinawa, a subtropical zone in Japan. Blood and feces samples were taken from 1,347 healthy inhabitants (554 males and 793 females). Antibody to HTLV-1 was measured by particle agglutination, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and Western blotting. The presence of Strongyloides was determined by direct detection of rhabditiform larvae in fresh stool on agar-plate cultures. Serum IgE levels in 127 inhabitants were measured by a fluoroenzyme immunoassay. Antibody to HTLV-1 was detected in 23.0% of the blood samples and was more frequent in females (25.1%) than in males (20.0%) (P < 0.05). Strongyloides were detected in 21.9% of the feces samples and were more frequent in males (31.9%) than in females (14.9%) (P < 0.001). The prevalence of both infections increased with age, especially in persons 50 years of age and older: The prevalence of Strongyloides infection was significantly higher in HTLV-1 carriers (31.6%) than in those without HTLV-1 infection (P < 0.001). The level of IgE was low in HTLV-1 carriers, and significantly lower in HTLV-1 carriers than in noncarriers among inhabitants with Strongyloides infection. Both HTLV-1 and Strongyloides infections are endemic in the area studied.

*HTLV-I Infections/IMMUNOLOGY *IgE/BLOOD *Strongyloides stercoralis/IMMUNOLOGY *Strongyloidiasis/IMMUNOLOGY


Information in this article was accurate in June 30, 1997. The state of the art may have changed since the publication date. This material is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between you and your doctor. Always discuss treatment options with a doctor who specializes in treating HIV.