Resource Logo
Los Angeles Times

Lawmaker proposes requiring condoms for porn actors in California


Following the lead of Los Angeles County, a state lawmaker is proposing to require that all actors in pornographic films made in California be required to wear condoms to protect them from exposure to AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Assembly member Isadore Hall III (D-Compton) has scheduled a Valentine’s Day press conference for Thursday at the offices of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation to announce the introduction of legislation similar to the requirement approved by county voters in November.

"When it comes down to it, adult film actors are employees, like any other employee for any other business in the state," Hall said Wednesday. “We have an obligation to ensure that all workers, regardless of the type of work, are protected from workplace hazards and injury. Condoms are a proven and effective way to prevent a number of sexually transmitted diseases.''

Like the county measure, the state legislation faces opposition from some in the pornography industry.

Last month, Vivid Entertainment, a leading producer of pornography, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles seeking to overturn the county law on grounds that it violated 1st Amendment's protection of free expression.

"There is no legislation or referendum vote that can trump expressive conduct, which is protected by the first amendment," said Steven Hirsch, founder and co-chairman of Vivid Entertainment, on Wednesday.


Copyright © 2013 -Los Angeles Times, Publisher. All rights reserved to Los Angeles Times Reproduced with permission. Reproduction of this article (other than one copy for personal reference) must be cleared through the Los Angeles Times, Permissions, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053.

Information in this article was accurate in February 13, 2013. The state of the art may have changed since the publication date. This material is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between you and your doctor. Always discuss treatment options with a doctor who specializes in treating HIV.