Associated Press (01.06.12) - Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Cincinnati has lost control of nearly $737,000 in state STD
grants for 2012, with state officials channeling most of the
money to the county level. The state's move was based in part
on the city failing to get passing scores for its grant
applications, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported. The grants
were awarded instead to the Public Health Department of Dayton
and Montgomery County, with the stipulation that 90 percent
goes to Hamilton County, which includes Cincinnati, state
Cincinnati was faulted for having no improvement plan to
reduce STDs or way to determine the success of efforts, said
Tessie Pollock, an Ohio Department of Health (ODH)
spokesperson. The city's applications provided too little
detail about target populations, little explanation of how
case monitoring would improve, and no details on how a social
media campaign would work, state reviewers said.
"It's gotten so bad in the last few years we had no choice but
to find a new partner to address the problem," said William
McHugh, ODH's division of prevention chief.
Cincinnati Health Commissioner Noble Maseru disputed the
review and pledged to fight the decision, which McHugh said is
final. The city's legal department is reviewing the denial.
"Our department is doing great work," said Maseru, who
contends the state has refused to correct faulty scoring on
the application. "The state has placed us in an extremely
Cincinnati said it will use city funding to operate an STD
treatment clinic; state officials said Friday they could not
verify that. Hamilton County health workers will conduct
follow-up work, including investigating STD outbreaks, partner
notification, and educating people on how to protect
A report last year said Hamilton County ranked 12th nationally
in the number of syphilis cases and third when accounting for
population, the Enquirer said.